Roll-Out Grass Seed Mats and Flower Beds
Colorful Flowers to Brighten Your Landscape
An flower garden is a great addition to any yard, adding color and attracting butterflies and birds, so you can be at one with nature as soon as you step out your door. However, even serious gardeners know the that it can be tough to get a flower bed just right.
A roll-out seed mat from Miles Kimball will simplify your gardening experience this spring, while offering unrivaled beauty. Both aspiring gardeners and green thumbs alike count on seed mats to make their landscape dazzle in just a matter of weeks. In this guide, we’ll look at the reasons you might choose a roll-out flower mat and we’ll introduce you to some of our unique favorites to plant this season.
How a Flower Seed Starter Mat Works
A seed blanket is typically made of layered fiber or paper woven together. Seeds from one flower or several varieties are embedded between the layers. Instead of finding and planting individual seeds, gardeners simply lay out the mat and care for it as instructed. Seed mats are fully biodegradable, so you don’t have to dispose of them later. You can order annual mats to freshen up the look each spring or get perennial flower seed mats for years and years of consistent beauty.
Benefits of Flower Seed Mat
Even if you’re a veteran gardener, there are many good reasons to get a roll-out flower seed mat. Some of the biggest advantages include:
- They are far easier and less labor-intensive than traditional gardening.
- Seed blends are typically chosen by professional horticulturalists, so you know they’ll grow well together.
- The mats retain water well and sometimes contain fertilizer for added nourishment.
- The fibers act as a barrier against weeds and other unwanted growth.
- Mats can be cut to fit oddly-shaped areas, create unique designs or be planted in pots without affecting growth.
- They help protect against soil erosion.
How to Plant Pre-Seeded Grow Mats
The exact planting and care requirements for a seed mat vary somewhat depending on the types of seeds inside it. However, the basic process is as follows:
- Perform any cutting or shaping with a pair of scissors.
- Lay the mat out over cleared and aerated dirt or soil in an area that will provide adequate sunlight.
- Cover the mat with dirt.
- Water the mat every day until the seeds visibly sprout.
- Continue to water as needed.
Flowers typically bloom in about six weeks, so you don’t have to wait long to see their beauty emerge.
Our Favorite Roll-Out Flower Beds
Miles Kimball has a large assortment of unique flower seed beds at affordable prices. Here are a few we think will make your yard or garden shine.
- Butterfly and Hummingbird Seed Mat — This roll-out mat contains more than a dozen wildflower and plant seed varieties specifically selected to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
- Garden Fragrance Flower Bed — This mat features gorgeous flowers with an intense aroma, so you can enjoy an amazing scenery and scent.
- Sunflower Garden Mat — Flowers aren’t just for the spring; you can enjoy a burst of fall colors with this pre-seeded sunflower bed.
- Sunny Tree Ring — Grow rings of flowers around the base of a tree or a pole without cutting a standard roll-out mat to fit.
- Wildflower Roll Out Seed Mat — This bag is a creative take on flower mats that can be hung over a deck railing or tree branch.